Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Herniated disc

I am in the process of recovering from a herniated disc in my back. For those of you that do not know what that is or what the symptoms are let me fill you in. A herniated disc, or rupture of the intervertebral disc of the spine occurs when, the cushion that sits between the spinal vertebra is pushed outside its normal position. A herniated disc would not be a problem so often if it weren't for the spinal nerves that are very close to the edge of the intervertebral disc. Because of all the nerves that are so close to the disc when it gets pushed out of place it keeps touching the nerves and it is incredible painful. Common symptoms of a herniated disc include Leg Pain, Parasthesias and muscle weakness. There are a few other symptoms, but luckily I was spared those.
To put what I have been going through in real terms I herniated my disc last Thursday. Six days later is the first day I can walk around unassisted for about thirty minutes before I need to lay down again. For the first few days everything hurt, laughing, sneezing and walking was out of the question. I actually did try to walk last Friday to go to the doctor and I fell down, it was not a good scene. I do not wish this pain on anyone, so the point of this blog is to forewarn people to be careful. I was not doing anything tremendously strenuous when I did this, I was putting in grout on our new tile floor. I felt my back starting to get soar and I ignored it and kept working! I have been paying the price ever since. So the moral of my story is listen to your body especially your back when it tells you to take a break.

1 comment:

Mrs. Smith said...

Glad to see you are finaly able to make it to the computer today! I hope your feeling a lot better soon!