Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Jury Duty

So I just got out of jury duty. I am relieved for two major reasons. The first is that I do not have to leave Gretchen all day. My mom offered to babysit and I know she knows what she is doing. But nobody is mom except for mom. I know Gretchen would cry when I left for a few minutes, but then she would settle down and enjoy playing with my mom. However since I leave when she is crying, I would be imaging Gretchen hysterical the entire time. Again I know I am being over dramatic. We have gone out for the evening before and she has always been sound asleep when we return.

The second reason I am relieved is because I would hate to make a mistake. If I got called to serve on a jury and a persons life is in my hands, I would hate to make a mistake. Let’s say I was serving on a murder trial, if a person is capable of murder I am sure they are capable of lying about it. Would I be able to tell if the person was lying or telling the truth? I watch that show The First 48. It follows police investigators in the first stages of a murder investigation. Many of the people who they later prove guilty are questioned and very convincingly lie about their innocence. To be honest I do not know where I stand on capital punishment either, I see both sides of the argument. Part of me does not think as a Christian I could sentence anyone to death. Another side of me however does believe in an eye for an eye. They probably would not even pick me for a murder trail because I watch too many crime shows.

No comments: