Tuesday, August 22, 2006

BB King is just that...King!

Nathan and I went and saw BB King this past weekend at Ravina. He is amazing! I truly hope to be like him when I am 80 years old. This man played for two hours straight that is longer than most guys half his age. He was also very engaging with the audience and had a wonderful sense of humor. He joked about all the not so funny things that happen as you get old and his inability to hit on women. I hope I have such a wonderful sense of humor about ageing when I get older.

If you do not know that much about the blues BB King is a wonderful place to start. He really has made some of the quintessential blues songs his own. This past weekend he made us wait for it but he played “The Thrill is Gone.” This is probably his best known song but he put a different spin on his live version it was much more up tempo than the classic recording of his.

As a musician and a resident of Chicago I feel obligated to tell you the blues is for everyone. The blues is not depressing or pity party music. The blues acknowledges the hard times but takes more of a life gave you lemons make lemonade type attitude. I am always in a good mood after listening to my blues play list on my ipod. Go ahead and down load some BB King!

No comments: