Saturday, December 02, 2006

nephew part 2

So I gave my nephew the stupid cards he said he wanted just last weekend at Thanksgiving. Let me paint the picture at Thanksgiving. I am sitting across from him at the dinner table. Jen: "Michael, what do you want for you birthday?" Michael: "I like Yu Giou Cards and Pokemon Cards." Jen: "Which one do you like better?" Michael: "Yu Giou." Jen: "Any specific type of Yu Giou Cards?" Michael: "No, I like them all." Flash forward to this evening. Micheal opens this present and his smile immediately goes away. Jen: "Michael isn't this what you asked for?" Michael: "Sort of." Jen: "What?!?! You said Yo Giou cards any kind." Michael: "Oh."

Cindy I know you said you hate when people give cash and to be honest I do too. It takes no thought and that is why I dislike it. However, I might have to resort to giving this kid cash, otherwise I might strangle him. Nathan almost had to hold me back this evening. I was so close to blowing my top. I bought the kid exactly what he wanted. Maybe he just gets some kind of sick pleasure out of not liking gifts from me.

2 comments:

Mrs. Smith said...

Jen, how old is this little guy? I ask because maybe some kids are just like that - tossing presents over their shoulder, etc. Dennis and I went to a bday party for his second cousin over the summer. The kid was turning 5. The party was in the backyard and all of his presents were arranged on a big blanket in the grass. When he saw them he ran out screaming "PRESENTS!" at the top of his lungs. The little devil proceeded to tear into the gifts like a complete maniac and probably opened like 25 presents in 5 minutes. He had no idea who any of them were from and he launched each one into the air behind his shoulder to get to the next one and never reacted if he actually liked any of them. I spent a long time picking out his gift too, but in reality he has no idea what we got him because he just ripped through all of them so fast. It definitely annoyed me. However had I given him cash, it would have been floating in the wind somewhere with the way he was launching everything in to the air. (I hope my kids don't act like that whenever I have them.)

Jen said...

Well Michael is 11. Do not get me he is a nice kid. I just do not know what to do about the gift thing. I already got him his Christmas presents. A nerf gun with an extra package of sponge things to shoot. I think that is a safe boy toy but what do I know.