Saturday, July 29, 2006

Thoughts on teaching band

Anyone who listens to me talk about teaching has heard me make a few obligatory comments such as, "I took my first drink while students teaching," or, "I love being a teacher during July." Although both of those comments are true, I am just kidding. The morning period for summer has ended and it has been replaced by laughter and crazy kids. Do you remember how fun band was in high school and college? How interesting all the characters were, both friends and acquaintances? Well I am teaching the next generation of those kids. I think that is why I love teaching band so much.

I am sure this is no surprise to anyone but all my friends growing up were made through band (except my husband). I think I have some of the greatest friends around for many reasons but one that stands out is their independent spirits. I find most people who stick with band for more than two years have a bit of this in their personality. I love spending time with people who have a sense of themselves and do what makes them happy. Lets face it, band is not exactly a class to take to be voted homecoming queen. However, I will believe this until the day I die: it is one to take to make life long friends.

The kids I teach are no exception. This past Friday we had summer jazz rehearsal. Summer jazz is very basic. We learn jazz articulation and blues scales. However, I throw one tune into the mix just to keep them happy. One of my kids has been bugging me to play Soul Bossa Nova (Austin Power's Theme) for two years now. I decided it might make a good summer jazz tune. This one guy convincied everyone this was the best song since sliced bread and we have just been having a great time. If you know the song I am referring to, you know it has a high pitched vocal part in the beginning which our arrangement does not have. This upset our ring leader and he asked if he could sing the part. I said he could only if he promised to sing it at the concert into a microphone. He accepted my challenge and we shook hands on it. Once we started rehearsing again, our vocalist was singing in full force. We all broke down in laughter unable to continue, myself included. Ahh it is good to be back.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey!!! I like your site! I, ofcourse, relate the most to this particular entry. I don't know what I'm going to do this year when I'm not teaching band!!!! Hmmmm.... somehow, I think I may survive ;-)

Things are going well for me. No, the baby hasn't flipped yet. I'm going in to be sectioned next Tuesday. I'm actually really looking forward to it...not necessarily the surgery, but seeing the baby for the first time (other than on ultrasound, ofcourse!) I have a feeling the time between now and Tuesday will really drag. Oh well... I'll let you know when I come home and you can come for a visit (and maybe bring that spaghetti you've been promising ;-) Later girl!

Kendra