Sunday, October 07, 2007

Sick and Pregnant

There are many great things about being pregnant and many not so great things. There are days I am convinced this is no longer my body and days I just have to laugh at what is happening. Many of these things I will not blog about for anyone to read, but feel free to talk with me in person about it. One thing that I have been dealing with the last few days is being sick and pregnant.

Both items mess with your energy level. So, when you put the two together it makes it hard to go for more that six hours without needing to sleep. Also, it is hard to find relief when you are sick and pregnant. There is a short list of medicines that you can take without worry of harm to the baby and unfortunately none of then help with sinus pressure and pain. You can take Halls and use Vick Vaporub. I have been eating Halls like candy. But I cannot stand the greasy feeling of Vicks on my chest, so I have not gone that route. However, in my need for even a moment or two of relief I have found two safe weapons, a steamer meant to give facials and Shower Soothers. I bought the little facial thing for 20 bucks over a year ago and I use it every so often. However, I have been using it three times a day lately just to give me some temporary relief and break up the sinus pressure. I also tried those Shower Soothers and they work well, but are also temporary relief. You put this mentholated puck in your shower and let the hot water dissolve it. It releases a really strong mentholated vapor that helps clean you out if only for an half an hour or so. I am all ears if anyone has anything else that a pregnant lady can use for sinus pressure and pain. Lastly, for anyone reading this thinking about getting pregnant, stock up on safe alternatives for when your sick beforehand. You will not have the energy to run to the store once it happens.

No comments: