Friday, November 17, 2006

Should I do a Christmas letter?

Should I do a Christmas letter? I have asked myself this question for the last few years. In a way it would be like a blog about my year. I like the idea of keeping those I care enough about to send a Christmas card to informed about my life. I always read the Christmas letters I receive.

On the other hand I hate how some letters come across so braggadocios. I mean life is not all gum drops and pay raises. If I compose one, I want it to be real. Do people want “real” around the Holiday? How long is too long? Right now I am thinking one page double spaced. Just enough to give the big highlights and a few antidotes, right? Having never composed one of these little beauties, I have no idea.

Other than that I had a hard week. Nathan was gone on business, Except for today, I felt very ineffective this week as a teacher. My kids will not play with good tempo and I spent all week pulling teeth on this issue. Today I held an American Idol-like contest concerning tempo. The winning section receives a fabulous edible prize on Monday once the votes are tabulated. I had all the sections play and everyone voted on who kept the best time. The two rules were you could not vote for your own section and if I called on a student for talking during the contest, their section was disqualified. The kids really worked hard on playing with good time and keeping quiet. Although this was a nice break from the normal rehearsal, I need to get them to stay quiet and focused on tempo without playing games.

1 comment:

Mrs. Smith said...

As far as a Christmas letter, people always joke about them, but really who doesn't like nosing around in other people's business and hearing all about them? I mean that's why we all have blogs right? haha. Seriously, if you want to do it, do it. I don't think I could ever keep one short enough though myself. I mean even this comment is long. I am just long-winded. Oh well. Perhaps someday when I have kids I would consider it, for now though I am going to send out regular cards. I do agree that many times those thins can be too "braggadocious" as you put it. But then again, I have read a few that basically detailed every surgery and health problem in the family over the past year, and they were just downright depressing. It's hard to know where to draw the line I suppose. You could always compromise and send out regular cards with a link to your blog! hehe. Either way, I will be expecting some sort of greeting from you in the next month! :)