Monday, March 12, 2007

Ethnic celebrations

I was discussing what to do for St. Patrick’s Day with a friend and she told me she does not celebrate St. Patty’s Day because she is not Irish. I said everyone is Irish on St. Patty’s Day and besides she should not be bitter because her people have Casmir Pulaski Day. In my opinion St. Patty’s Day kicks Casmir’s butt, but I digress. Anyways it got me to thinking that I am only a quarter Irish-American. So what about my three quarter German- American heritage? Do the German-Americans have a day? Well it turns out we do according to Wikipedia.

Steuben Day is held September 17, celebrating Baron Friedrich von Steuben, who arrived in the United States as a volunteer offering his services to General George Washington, and is generally considered the German-American event of the year. Participants march, dance, and play music.

Steuben Day is celebrated in Chicago, Illinois in early September with a parade and a country fair serving German food, with music, costumes and other items, and in New York City on September 17 with a parade and Oktoberfest-style beer tent complete with food and live music in Central Park. This celebration was incorporated into the movie Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

I vividly remember the parade scene from Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, but I had no idea Chicago had this big celebration. Has anyone ever been? I am totally going this year! First I will celebrate my birthday and then the next weekend Steuben Day, who is with me?!?

No comments: