Thursday, March 20, 2008

My last day

This past week at work I took the kids to two contests and on tour. I am exhausted to say the least. Today was my last day at work before the baby arrives. We officially start our spring break tomorrow and I am due next week on Thursday. Although I do really need some down time, sleep has been allusive at best and my feet are swollen.


I have mixed feelings about leaving work and my students. I guess I just realize how much teaching defines me as a person. I am worried about setting that part of me aside for a while. I am sure that once I meet my little one, this worry will become a distant memory. But it was definitely an issue I was dealing with today and the interaction with my kids only heightened this feeling.

After coming back from tour (we played for the little ones at the elementary building) I ordered pizza for the kids. I sent the kids down to the band room while I paid for the pizza. When I walked into the room their was a huge gift bag for them and the kids were cheering and clapping for me. We got to spend the next hour eating and saying our goodbyes. I really though I was going to begin to cry at several points and I gave more hugs today than any other day of my life. After school many of them came back and just wanted to spend some more time with me. I do have great students and I am going to miss them.

No comments: