Sunday, August 13, 2006

A book review plus some

I just finished a wonderful book called “The Secret Life of Bees.” I thought the story was thoughtful and very insightful into the issues of race relations, mother-daughter relationships, and survival of the human spirit.

The story is set during the beginning of the civil rights movement and it is told from the point of view of a 14 year old girl. I love the way the author addressed the issue of racism, both the kind that is blatant and also the kind people have without even realizing it, in a very honest manner without being preachy. I believe this idea is secondary to the story line of the main character Lily struggling with the loss of her mother at a young age and feeling like she had no love relationship with an adult, or anyone for that matter. I will not give any of the story away, but I do recommend that you read this book.

I have never been a trashy romance novel kind of girl, although I do enjoy a thriller from time to time. I am mainly drawn to stories told from the female perspective that incorporate real issues. For example, my favorite book to date is “The Poisonwood Bible.” This book tackles issues such as the sometimes unwanted spread of Christianity to certain parts of the world, racism, and survival. The story is told through the point of view of all four of a missionary preacher’s daughters.

Please do not take my thoughts on literature as me saying men are incapable of thoughtful commentary on tough issues or they are not aware of the world around them. I think I love female driven stories written by women because I am one and I find it easier to relate too. Although I will admit I have more than once found myself angry at female characters in stories written by men. For example, almost every female penned by Shakespeare is weak in some way whether it is Ophelia losing her mind or Hamlet’s mother marrying her husband’s brother after his untimely death. Yes, you can argue that it was the time that those plays were written and females are not portrayed like that anymore, but I still see it as a problem. Just look at Memoirs of a Geisha by Golden. Although this book is very well written and the main character does display moments of great strength, in the end her whole life has been about being with one man.

I guess I have just done so much reading about women who need to be saved or shown the way by the men in their life that I need a break. Wow, I really meant this just to be a book review not a rant. I am always open to reading suggestions, no matter who the author.

1 comment:

Nathan H said...

In defense of my fellow male brethren, I would just like to say that the greatest feminist television shows of all time, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, was written by a man.